Best Practices: Lead Retrieval for Event Registration and Lead Retrieval Companies
The codeREADr app and SaaS platform enable event service providers to offer exhibitors versatile, cost-effective lead retrieval tools integrated with their registration databases.
The video below shows screenshots and the basic features of the app for recording sales lead information at Trade Shows and Expos. Check out a PDF version of the video.
Listed below are the general requirements and most common steps used for deploying codeREADr for lead retrieval applications. Here we cover the Record Scans service type. For services requiring validation, such as ticket, session or attendance validation where the barcode ID must be validated against a database, the methods vary somewhat and are covered here in another ‘Best Practices’ tutorial.
Badge IDs with Barcodes
You can print badges either with 1) a barcode including the attendee’s name and contact info in the barcode itself, or 2) a barcode with just an ID, but that ID is linked to a database storing the attendee name and contact information on our servers or their servers. They can then offer various options to exhibitors, most importantly facilitating their ability to contact attendees after they have visited their booth. While you can use the codeREADr website to generate barcodes you may want to consider low-cost desktop programs built for that purpose.
You create the usernames and passwords which authorize app users to sign-in to the app and access the Service(s) you created. Each exhibitor may have a single username for everyone at their booth or each person working at the booth can have their own. If the exhibitor wants each salesperson to receive only their own leads then each person will need their own username.
To create a username for the booth, we suggest using something like ‘Event-Exhibitor’. If each person gets their own username, we suggest using something like ‘Event-Name’ or their email address.
When creating your Services, on the Users step be sure to associate that username to the Service(s) you authorize them to scan with.
On the Scans page, you can create, view, filter, share, and export exhibitor’s scan records. For exporting we suggest creating an Export Template to export just the information you want and have the columns in the order you want for importing to Excel or similar programs to generate your reports. See “Sharing scan records with exhibitors” below to automate report distribution.
- Service Types: You can have more than one service type available to the exhibitor.
Lead retrieval applications use the ‘Record Scans’ service type if a) the attendee information is included in the barcode or b) the attendee information is not available for presenting to the app user when scanning at the event. The ‘Validate Scans’ option is used when the attendee information is available when scanning.
The ‘Online’ option is ideal for real-time access to scans but it is CRITICAL to determine if there will be stable internet access at the venue. Particular caution must be exercised as many venues may either not have good Wi-Fi or network access or, if they do, both may become overloaded when the venue is crowded. Often the ‘On-Device’ (offline) option is the best choice so scans are saved to the device and can be uploaded by the exhibitor at their convenience during or after the event.
Note: On-Device services can be used with the Auto Sync option available on the Advanced step.
- App User Authorization: See ‘Users’ above.
- Data Collection: Select the ‘Questions’ (prompts to the app user) you want to associate with this Service. After each scan, you can present form entry fields to the app user (e.g. Add Comments) and menu options (e.g. When to contact? How to contact?).
- Service Duration: Typically lead retrieval services are set for 2 weeks before the event and 2-weeks after the event. Be sure to have the exhibitors upload their scans after the event.
Sharing scan records with exhibitors
You can use our CSV Download Link feature to offer your exhibitors a web portal for selectively viewing and downloading their own sales leads. If using an online or auto-sync service the app user can sign into the portal to view their scan records in real time. If using an offline service they can view their scan records after uploading their scans from the device. This option is generally only valuable if the barcode scanned includes the attendee’s contact information in the barcode or in the response text of a database.
Your Checklist for Exhibitors
- Suggest they practice before the event.
- In case there’s no internet at the venue, advise exhibitors to sign in to the app and select the event’s Service at least once before the event. If they have Internet connectivity at the venue, the app will download the correct service(s) and the latest databases to their devices.
- Suggest they charge their devices before each day of the event.
- Questions specific to an exhibitor: This can easily be done by creating a Service specifically for an exhibitor with questions specific to their needs.
- Off-Floor / Off-Site Events: If an exhibitor needs to track or validate attendance at seminars or parties simply create a specific Service for that.
- Add value to an attendee’s badge or track gifts given to attendees: Please look here for information on other uses for badge IDs.
Need help? Please email support@codeREADr.com.