Best Practices for Lead Retrieval and Event Registration
codeREADr enables event service providers to offer exhibitors versatile, cost-effective lead retrieval tools integrated with their registration databases.
The video shows the basic features of the app for recording sales lead information at Trade Shows and Expos. Check out a PDF version of the video.
Best Practices Tutorial
Check out the general requirements and the most common steps to deploy codeREADr for lead retrieval applications. Here, we cover the Record Scans service type. For services requiring validation, such as ticket sessions or attendance validation where the barcode ID must be validated against a database, the methods vary somewhat and are covered here in another ‘Best Practices’ tutorial.
Badge IDs with Barcodes
Primarily, there are two ways to print badges. First, you can print a barcode that includes the attendee’s name and contact info. Second, you can print a barcode with just an ID. In this case, the system links the ID to a database. Importantly, it stores the attendee name and contact information on our servers or your servers. Then, you can offer various options to exhibitors. For example, they can contact attendees after they have visited their booth. Also, while you can use the codeREADr website to generate barcodes, you can consider low-cost desktop programs built for that purpose.
App Users (Exhibitors/Sponsors)
First, you create the usernames and passwords for the app users to access the Service(s) you created. For instance, each exhibitor may have a single username for everyone at the booth. Also, each person working at the booth can have their own credentials. In addition, to receive their own leads, all salespeople will need their own username.
Moreover, to create a username for the booth, we suggest using something like ‘Event-Exhibitor’. Furthermore, if each person gets their own username, we suggest using something like ‘Event-Name’ or their email address.
Importantly, when creating your Services, be sure to associate the username to the Service(s) you authorize them to scan with.
Primarily, on the Scans page, you can create, view, filter, share, and export exhibitor’s scan records. For exporting, we suggest creating an Export Template to export just the information you want and have the columns in the order you want for importing to Excel or similar programs to generate your reports. See “Sharing scan records with exhibitors” below to automate report distribution.
- Service Types: You can have more than one service type available to the exhibitor.
Lead retrieval applications use the ‘Record Scans’ service type in the following cases. First, use if the attendee information is included in the barcode. Secondly, use if the attendee information is not available for presenting to the app user when scanning at the event. Moreover, you can use the ‘Validate Scans’ option when the attendee information is available when scanning.
Notably, the ‘Online’ option is ideal for real-time access to scans. However, it is critical to determine if there will be stable internet access at the venue. For instance, venues may not have good Wi-Fi or network access. Also, even if they do, when there are too many people at the venue, the connection may be slow. Therefore, the ‘On-Device’ (offline) option is the best choice to save the scans to the device. In addition, exhibitors can upload the scans at their convenience during or after the event.
Note: You can use On-Device services with the Auto Sync option available on the Advanced step.
- App User Authorization: See ‘Users’ above.
- Data Collection: First, select the ‘Questions’ (prompts to the app user) you want to associate with this Service. Then, after each scan, you can present form entry fields to the app user (e.g. Add Comments) and menu options (e.g. When to contact? How to contact?).
- Service Duration: Typically, users set lead retrieval services for 2 weeks before and after the event. Be sure to have the exhibitors upload their scans after the event.
Sharing scan records with exhibitors
You can use our CSV Download Link feature to offer your exhibitors a web portal for selectively viewing and downloading their own sales leads. With an online or auto-sync service, users can sign in to view their scan records in real time. If using an offline service, they can view their scan records after uploading those from the device. Importantly, this is valuable if there are the attendee’s contact information in the barcode or in the response text of a database.
Your Checklist for Exhibitors
- Suggest they practice before the event.
- If the internet is not available, advise exhibitors to sign in to the app. Then, select the event’s Service at least once before the event. If it is available, the app will download the correct service(s) and the latest databases to their devices.
- Suggest they charge their devices before each day of the event.
- Questions specific to an exhibitor: Simply create a Service specifically for an exhibitor with questions to their needs.
- Off-Floor / Off-Site Events: If Exhibitors can simply create a service to track or validate attendance.
- Add value to an attendee’s badge or track gifts given to attendees: Please look here for information on other uses for badge IDs.
Need help? Please email support@codeREADr.com.