Device Requirements and Data Policies
For iOS and Android, you can use the built-in camera for scanning barcodes or use a scanning accessory. Generally, the rear autofocus camera is used but the front camera can be used for some applications (e.g. kiosk mode).
- iOS: Requires iOS 9.x or greater.
- iPhone: 5S, 6/6 Plus, 7/7 Plus, 8/8Plus, Xs/XR. Note that the iPhone 4S, 5 and 5c can run iOS 9.0 so they will work. Depending on the model they are currently limited to either iOS 9.x and iOS 10.x whereas the 5S will run iOS 12.x. What that means is if we can no longer support iOS 9.x or iOS 10.x, then you won’t be able to update previously installed versions of the app to the latest version. That’s why we recommend iPhone 5s or greater. We can’t predict how long we will support iOS 9.x (the current minimum) but we try to support for as long as reasonably possible.
- iPod Touch 5th, 6th Gen
- iPad Mini 3, 4 (iOS 9x)
- iPad 3rd Gen (iOS 9.x) : 4th Gen (iOS 10.x); and the iPad Air and iPad Pro models.
The version to use in the field is the Production iOS app. [There’s also an Admin Edition for administrators to test new app features before they are pushed live to the Production app. You will be notified if you should use that version to test.]
- Android OS: The Android app requires Android OS 4.1 or greater and an auto-focus camera. Note: Android APKs are available on request in the Android device does not have access to Google Play for downloading.
- BlackBerry: BlackBerry devices are not directly supported. However, if the BlackBerry device can install apps from Google’s Play Store then you can install the app.
- Touch Computers and Scanning Accessories: We also support Bluetooth and USB scanning accessories, iOS and Android scanning sleds and Android OS handheld computers. Please look here for information on alternative scanning devices.
Note: Future updates to the codeREADr app may not support older iOS or Android OS versions. You will not be able to newly install the app to those older devices unless you update the OS of the device. If you cannot update the OS to our new minimums, generally (not guaranteed, though) you can continue using the pre-installed app but not install the latest version.
Using the codeREADr app does not require a cellular data plan. You can use the app on a Wi-Fi and 3G/4G/LTE cellular networks. For scanning directly to your own server within a local network, please refer to our Direct Scan to URL (DSU) option.