Now that smartphones and tablets have revolutionized the enterprise space, it has never been possible to quickly and accurately track assets globally. What tools are required for successful asset tagging, tracking, and auditing programs?
1. Fast, accurate barcode scanning of the asset’s original barcode formats, including the barcodes representing product IDs, serial numbers, warranty IDs and component IDs. Those barcodes are often UPC/EAN, Code 39 or Code 128 barcodes but they can also be DataMatrix, Interleaved 2of5, QR Codes, etc. It’s important that the app be able to scan any format presented to the app user.
2. The ability to capture data on location with or without having Wi-Fi or 3G/4G network connectivity to the Internet. Optional offline (on-device) storing of databases and scan records is essential, with subsequent uploading when connectivity is restored.
3. Enable employees, subcontractors, and customers to use their own or locally provisioned Android OS or iOS devices. In this way, you don’t have the huge capital expense to provision scanning devices to everyone. If you already have scanning devices on location, they should ideally also be used.
4. The ability to roll out simultaneously on a global basis and track an unlimited number of assets at an unlimited number of locations.
5. Scan records must be posted to a central cloud server via secure transfer.
6. Complimentary data collection of pictures, signatures, voice-to-text fields, drop-down menus, and GPS location are especially useful when tagging items, for damaged assets or for those needing maintenance or updates.
7. A backup to barcode scanning, including manual entry or database lookup.
8. The ability to tag new or previously undocumented assets with barcodes, QR codes, or NFC tags.
9. Capture the ID or username of the person actually doing the audit.
10. The ability to download your scan records locally as a CSV file for importing into Excel, Access, or other local databases. Ideally, those scan records can be auto-insert into existing cloud databases, like Google Sheets, QuickBase, and others using Postback URL or API integration.
If you have any questions please email info@CodeREADr.com.