Create a Simple Database of Inventory, Assets, Members, and More
We offer the Database Builder service type so you can easily create a database of inventory, assets, members, etc. Primarily, the service is for scanning barcodes while mobile and associating a description to those barcodes after each scan. In this way you can remotely capture the barcode IDs and descriptions of your inventory, assets or members and later export and edit the resulting database.
Steps to Create a Simple Database
- Create a Service
- Select ‘Database Builder’
- Enter a custom name for the database.
- Select which app users you will allow to scan.
- On the Advanced tab, you may enable tracking the location of each scan (GPS). You may also want to select the barcode symbologies you’ll be scanning. [Note: If the app can’t scan the barcodes that need to be scanned, please try the SD PRO scan engine – you’ll see the Try It button when signing in to the app.]
- When finished, go to the Database page on codeREADr.com to download your database.
When you scan or manually enter a barcode value, the app will check the online database you created to see if that value exists. If it does, you’ll see a green Valid screen and you’ll see the information you have already associated with that value. That text will be the ‘Response’ text. You can add or edit the Response text or delete the entire entry. After that, the system will save the new Response text to the database.
If that value is not in the database, you will see a red Invalid screen. You’ll now have the opportunity to enter the associated Response text for the first time. Then, the system will save that text to the database along with the barcode value.
Typically, that’s all you need to do. The ‘entry status’ option is mostly for more advanced-applications. For example, if you wanted to define that item that it’s no longer available for sale, you can do so.
Once you have a database, you can now track, validate and collect even more data about each item, asset or member. Please review the Asset Tracking article.